So let's get down to business and make some chutney.
Prepare your jars , 7 half pint jars, lids and rings. Wash and sterilize (see above link).
- 12 large peaches, use ripe firm peaches. Do not use mushy ones!
- juice of a lemon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 finely chopped small onion
- 1 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- a pinch ground cinnamon
- a pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove of finely minced garlic
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Fill another large bowl with water and ice cubes.
Drop peaches (4 at a time) into boiling water for 60 seconds.
Remove with slotted spoon and plunge into ice bath.
Remove from ice water and skin will pull right off..like this
- Cut the peaches and remove the pits. Cut into chunks, and mush them up a bit with a potato masher. Place peaches into a large heavy dutch oven.
- Squeeze the juice of a lemon over mushed peaches.
Fill the jars, clean the rim, place lid and screw band and tighten. Process the jars in a water bath for 20 minutes. Be sure the jars are covered with 2" of boiling water. After 20 minutes, turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove from bath and allow to cool in a draft-free place. Do Not Disturb!
|I have to write a note to keep someone from picking them up to see if they set properly.|
Store in a cool dark place.