Sunday, October 24, 2010

Apple Spice Cake


It seems as if cake and desserts have undergone somewhat of an evolution over the past twenty years.  Dessert is so much more sophisticated than it used to be.  Maybe it really isn't, but since the advent of The Food Network and the internet, it sure seems that way.  Sophistication has its place, but sometimes I just want to make a cake that is homey and nostalgic.  I came across this Apple Spice Cake recipe on this site.  After reading all the comments, I had to give it a try.  This is one of the simplest cakes in the world to make.  It satisfied my nostalgic urge, that just-like-mother-used-to-make kind of cake.  It was heavenly with a cup of coffee and stayed moist for days.   My dad would have loved this cake.  He was a no-nonsense cake kind of guy; he didn't go for cakes with mounds of frosting.  He loved coffee cakes, pound cakes, pies and anything my mom would bake in this pan.

I have a nice bundt pan, but to add to the nostalgia, I thought my mom's old tube pan would be appropriate.  It's an old soldier.  This pan has to be at least 50 or 60 years old and bakes cakes like a charm.  I line the bottom with parchment or wax paper so it doesn't leak....this pan has been through a lot.  I tweaked the recipe just a little to reduce the amount of fat.  I also used a combination of brown and white sugar, just because I like the brown sugar - cinnamon combo.  I hope you like it too.

 Apple Spice Cake

Adapted from MarthaStewart.com submitted by Dorothy Mae Brown
  • 3/4 cup canola oil
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 to 4 Apples (I used MacIntosh - Granny Smith would be perfect)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 12-cup bundt pan or tube pan with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Peel, core, and cut apples in 1/2 inch pieces totaling 3 cups; set aside.
  3. Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt onto a large piece of parchment paper.
  4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine canola oil, applesauce, sugars, and eggs.  Mix on medium-high speed until light and yellow.
  5. Reduce mixer speed to low and add in sifted dry ingredients until just incorporated.
  6. Add apples and nuts to the batter; mix to combine.  Add vanilla and mix until incorporated.
  7. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 75 - 90 minutes at 350 degrees.  (mine took 80 minutes)
  8. Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a rack.
  9. Invert cake onto rack, turn right-side up and cool completely on a rack.
3 cups of cubed apples

Batter will be very thick
I love the crunchy top crust!
Have a bite!

1 comment: