Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fudge Brownie Kisses and Swirls


Valentines Day is a good excuse to make something chocolate, isn't it?  Last year I made chocolate soufflés, my personal favorite.  This year I decided to make Paul some brownies.  A big batch of brownies is really something we don't need to have hanging around the house.  Instead of a big pan of traditional brownies, I thought I'd make some brownie bites using a mini cupcake pan.  The last time I made them they were a big hit.  Maybe it was the Nutella I swirled in the batter.  Paul had just discovered the wonders of Nutella.  They were really fudgy and one little brownie bite was the perfect sized chocolate fix.

For Valentines Day I decided to swirl some with raspberry jam, some with Nutella, and top a few with a little Hershey's Kiss.  I used a basic brownie recipe, but the add-ins make them special.  As I am writing this I just thought to myself, I should have swirled in some peanut butter.  That would be wonderful!  Oh wait, then I would be making them more for me.  Anyway, this recipe makes about 50 bites, so you can experiment if you so desire.  Sorry Paul, you can't have all 50.  I'm packing up a box and the rest are headed to my office.  There are a few chocoholics working there as well.

I hope you all have a Happy Valentine's Day and share it with someone you love!

“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” 
 A.A. Milne, Winnie-The-Pooh


Fudge Brownie Kisses and Swirls
Click here for printable recipe
                       
Adapted from Bakers One Bowl Brownies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line mini muffin pans with paper liners (48 -50)

Brownie Ingredients:
  • 4 ounces unsweetened baker's chocolate
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup flour
Swirls and kisses:
  • Nutella
  • raspberry jam
  • peanut butter
  • Hershey's mini kisses
  • sprinkles and nonpareils 
Directions:
  1. In a microwave safe mixing bowl, melt chocolate and butter on high in the microwave, for 2 minutes.  (Stir after 1 minute)  Remove from microwave and stir to be sure all chocolate is melted.
  2. Stir in sugar.
  3. With an electric hand held mixer, beat in the eggs and vanilla until well blended.
  4. Add in the flour and beat until blended.
  5. Using a small scoop or teaspoon, fill muffin cups 3/4 full with brownie batter.
  6. Dot filled brownie cups with desired swirl ingredient (about 1/4 teaspoon each). Swirl into batter with a tooth pick, OR decorate with nonpareils and a mini kiss.
  7. Bake for 12-13 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
  8. Remove from pan and allow to cool on rack.  Optional: You can sprinkle the swirled brownie bites with colored sugar while they are still warm.
Brownie bites need to cool completely and are better the next day.  The paper will peel easier.  Brownie Bites will last for a week in a tightly closed tin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment