Sunday, February 27, 2011

Simple and Satisfying Chicken Marsala

A few weeks ago I was checking my email when my son Matt popped up on G chat.  We frequently "talk" on G chat, and I have to say,  I am grateful for technology.  It gives me the ability to "bump into" my kids, have a quick chat, and not feel like a pain in the butt mother, constantly bothering my children with phone calls at inopportune times.  Quick chats, texts with and without photos, help keep us connected, where ever their journey takes them, we can keep in touch.

Anyway, Matt popped up on G chat and asked if I could help him out with a Chicken Marsala recipe.  He wanted to surprise Lauren with a homemade dinner when she got home from work that evening.  Lauren was the one who usually had dinner waiting for Matt on nights when he worked late.  Now she is working some late nights and going to school as well.  How sweet I thought to myself, Matt can be such a considerate mush.  I was impressed by his ambition.  Not that Matt wasn't capable, I've just never known Matt to be a "cook".  He makes an awesome smoothie, but he was more of a frozen pizza kind of guy.

I was happy to oblige.  Actually, I had been planning to blog about chicken marsala that weekend and had an easy recipe.  I never got around to writing the blog, but Matt ran with the recipe. Lauren was impressed.

I picked up some nice mushrooms at the market today and Paul asked for a Chicken Marsala dinner.   I figure now's the perfect time to finally write this post.
Chicken Marsala
Adapted from Martha Stewart, marthastewart.com
Serves 4
  • 1 1/2 pounds thin cut chicken cutlets
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, 2 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon
  • 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, white or baby bella (or a combo)
  • 1 cup sweet marsala
  • 1 small onion, cut in half and sliced 
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed and minced
  • the juice of 1 whole lemon
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
In a shallow pan, combine flour, salt and pepper.  Dredge chicken in seasoned flour and shake off excess.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
When oil is hot, add chicken to the skillet, do not crowd, cook in 2 batches adding a bit more olive oil to the second batch if necessary.  Cook until chicken is golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
Remove from skillet and keep warm.  Cook second batch the same way.
Pour oil off skillet, but do not wipe clean.  Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in skillet.
Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add sliced mushrooms and continue cooking.  Cook until mushrooms are golden in color and the released liquid is evaporated.  This should take about 7-8 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Add marsala, and deglaze pan scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon.
Add the lemon, remaining butter, parsley and cook for 1 minute, reducing slightly.  
Return the chicken to the pan and heat for 2-3 more minutes.
Remove from heat.  Put chicken on serving platter, pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.  Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment