Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Spicy Shrimp on the Barbie

Some inspiration is not born from a long story.  Some inspiration comes from a simple idea.  Paul wanted shrimp for Father's Day dinner.  We headed to the farmer's market.
Paul eyeing Casey's Catch at the farmer's market
I was content to make the usual scampi.  Matt called his dad for Father's Day and said, "why don't you make them on the BBQ?"  (We gave Matt a grill for his birthday and he's been in BBQ mode)  Why not indeed?  I could do that.  Such an easy clean-up, and since the big guy wouldn't be doing the clean-up (it was Father's Day after all) I liked the idea.  I'm flexible.  I started scouring the pantry and fridge, then headed out to the garden in search of marinade fixins.  I didn't want boring shrimp; I wanted spice. Some Asian ingredients called to me and some fresh herbs screamed to be picked.
Maybe it was the gnomes screaming!
I started mixing and tasting, and before I knew it I had a Thai-ish tasting marinade ready to bathe some shrimp.
It was sort of evil looking
I marinated the shrimp for a little more than an hour and made a HUGE salad.  Thank you garden.  We picked up a heavenly loaf of bread at the farmer's market from Orwasher's .
Only 9:00AM and almost sold out
It was a light dinner followed by a hearty dessert.   Oh, and maybe just a little of this....


Grilled Spicy Shrimp

Serves 2-3
  • 1 pound of jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
Marinade:
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 3 tablespoons Thai red curry sauce (I used Trader Joe's)
  • 1 teaspoon sriracha
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
Directions:
  1. Whisk all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.  
  2. Place cleaned shrimp in a zip lock bag.  Pour marinade over shrimp.  Seal bag. Refrigerate for an hour.
  3. Heat gas grill to medium high heat.
  4. Be sure to oil the cooking surface of grill (olive oil)
  5. Thread shrimp onto skewers.
  6. Grill shrimp for 3 minutes over medium high flame.  Brush with marinade, flip, and grill another 3 minutes.
  7. Serve immediately.
It's that simple.
Just an afterthought....these shrimp would be outstanding with coconut rice and stir fried vegetables.
Oh I feel I must confess, the big guy did the dishes anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment