Thursday, July 8, 2010

I'm Lovin' Those Blueberries, Muffins, That Is!

Blueberries are awesome.  I haven't always felt this way about blueberries.  As a matter of fact, I can remember a time when I avoided blueberries at all cost.  I think I was traumatized by  blueberries when I was a child.  It must have been another 20 years before I saw the light.

The fresher the blueberries the better.  I am a firm believer in eating local produce that is in season.  I eat some blueberries everyday during the summer months... blueberries with Greek yogurt, blueberries and strawberries with cottage cheese or just a bunch of blueberries mixed with some melon and peaches....Blueberries are one of those "super-foods"   http://www.womenfitness.net/blueberries.htm.

Sometimes you want more than just pop-em-in-your-mouth fresh blueberries. Blueberries that are baked in a tart or pie, or simmered into a jam are raised to another level...and sometimes you just need to go there.  Why not start your day on a high note with a  Blueberry Muffin?  These muffins are an adaptation of a recipe that I found in my mother's recipe box.  It was hand written on an index card, and not in her hand writing.  I don't know who to credit for their goodness....but thank you mystery baker.


Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins
Yield 10 muffins
Preheat oven to 400 degrees - line muffin tin with paper liners
Take out a medium bowl and a small bowl (that way you can be efficient and measure out your muffin dry ingredients and your streusel ingredients at the same time)

For the Muffins:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour 
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 extra large egg
  • 1/2 cup low fat milk
  • 1 heaping cup of fresh blueberries
For the Struesel
  • 1/4 white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour, plus 1teaspoon
  • 2 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
  • 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1. Combine the dry muffin ingredients, whisk in a bowl.  Combine, oil, egg and milk in measuring cup and beat together, breaking up the egg.  Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients until just mixed.  Do not over-mix or you will have tough pointed muffins. Fold in the blueberries.
2. Mix all struesel ingredients together with a fork (or pastry cutter) until crumbly.  Sprinkle on tops of muffins.
3. Bake muffins on center rack of preheated oven for 20 minutes or until done.

Enjoy them warm....let them sit for 15 minutes or so.  Blueberries are HOT out of the oven.




No comments:

Post a Comment